Accessibility Screen-Reader Guide, Feedback, and Issue Reporting

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad (Expats)

Traveling the world and living life to the fullest are exciting opportunities for many Americans when they move abroad. It's easier than ever to pack up and relocate abroad, as long as you stay current with your U.S. expat taxes. Whether you're looking to find your Zen in southeast Asia or advance your career in London, you can relocate to a foreign country and be compliant.

U.S. citizens and resident aliens living or traveling outside the United States generally must file income tax returns, estate tax returns, and gift tax returns, as well as pay estimated taxes as if they were residents of the country. Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file a return.

If you had a financial interest in, or signature or other authority over, any bank, securities, or other financial account(s) in a foreign country, the aggregate value of which exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year, you must file FinCEN Report 114 or Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).